background [prelab assignment (10 points) due at the beginning of the lab
1. describe / rationalize the use of graphical analysis to determine the # moles of gas in the system & volume of the tubing.
- what is the ideal gas equation (it incorporates Boyle's law) ?
- what is the relationship between the volume term in the ideal gas equation, the volume of the tubing, and the volume of the syringe ? hint: see below figure
- substitue preceding expression for the volume term into the ideal gas equation, then solve for the volume of the syringe.
- identify the constants (i.e its value does not change during the experiment) and variables (i.e. its value does change during the experiment) in the preceding equation; there are 2 variables
- visualize the graph of the preceding equation, which would be a line if the variables are defined appropriately. which variable is on the horizontal axis ? vertical axis ? basis / rationale ?
- relate the parameters of the equation describing the graph to (i) the number of moles of gas in the system and (ii) the volume of the tubing.
2. sketch a data table for your experimental measurements (i.e. review the purpose & content of your lab report)
determine the volume of the tubing
determine the number of moles of gas in the system
fulfill various aspects of the NGSS science & engineering standards.
syringe; tubing; pressure transducer; data collection system; thermometer
methods / data analysis
Content of lab report (40 points)
introduction [10 points]
- basis of determining the volume of the tubing & number of moles of gas in the system using graphical analysis; use equation editor and appropriate mathematics style (see below link about writing mathematics)
methods [5 points]
results [10 points]
- graphs: V vs. P; V vs. 1 / P
- determination of the volume of the tubing & # moles of gas in the system
discussion [15 points]
- is the experimental data consistent with Boyle's law ? Justify your answer by referring to both graphs (relationship between pressure versus volume; 1 / P versus V).
- describe / list two high school
- NGSS science & engineering practicesin-text citation & a bibliography / refererence list.