|Boyle's Law||Honors Chemistry|
background [prelab assignment (15 points) due at the beginning of the lab; put a copy in your lab NB]
describe / rationalize the use of graphical analysis to determine the # moles of gas in the system & volume of the tubing. [hint: use the ideal gas equation (which incorporates Boyle's law) and the relationship between the volume of the system, volume of the tubing, and the volume of the syringe]
describe the syntax / protocol in using MS Excel to generate a graph and to transform pressure to reciprocal pressure. as appropriate, include sketches / screen shots to clarify your response and use in-text citation.
sketch a data table for your experimental measurements (i.e. review the purpose & content of your lab report)
determine the volume of the tubing
determine the number of moles of gas in the system
fulfill various aspects of the NGSS science & engineering standards.
syringe; tubing; pressure transducer; data collection system; thermometer
methods / data analysis
Content of lab report ( 30 points)
introduction [5 points]
- basis of determining the volume of the tubing & number of moles of gas in the system using graphical analysis
methods [5 points]
results [10 points]
- graphs: V vs. P; V vs. 1 / P
- determination of the volume of the tubing & # moles of gas in the system
discussion [10 points]
- is the experimental data consistent with Boyle's law ? Justify your answer by referring to both graphs (relationship between pressure versus volume; 1 / P versus V).
- describe / list two NGSS science & engineering practices that correlates to an aspect of this laboratory activity; provide an example in the lab & this lab report that meets these practices
lab activity source (examples): site 1 & site 2 [access 1 / 2014]