|Radioactive decay simulation||Honors Chemistry|
background [prelab assignment (10 points) due at the beginning of lab]
describe 2 methods using graphical analysis to determine the half-life of a radioactive isotope (hint: see content of lab report).
review prior Excel dice rolling simulation lab
compare the determination of the half-life based on:
- its definition (i.e. analyze the graph: # radioactive isotope versus time)
- the decay constant using non-linear regression analysis
- the decay constant using linearized data analysis
relate the # of faces on a dice to the half-life & decay constant
fulfill various aspects of the NGSS science & engineering standards.
Excel dice rolling simulation
methods / data analysis
initially, simulate 100 radioactive isotopes using Excel
pick a specific value on the dice, which represent the decay of the radioactive isotope
adjust # remaining radioactive isotopes accordingly; repeat till less than 20 dice remain
each set of dice rolls represent an interval of time, while # dice in sample represent # radioactive isotope in the sample
Content of lab report [30 points; no lab report revisions]
data analysis - for 6 or 10 sided dice (15 points)
determine & compare the half-life.
- graphs: for a 6- or10- sided die
- # die in sample versus # die roll; determine half-life based on its (i) definition and the graph and (ii) non-linear regression analysis and relating half-life to decay constant
- ln (# dice in sample) versus # dice roll; determine half-life based on linearized data and relationship between half-life and decay constant
- relate parameter(s) of equation describing the graph to decay constant
- statistical comparsion of the value of the half-life based on the preceding 3 methods described in the purpose and # sides of dice (use appropriate statistics); conclusions based on p-value.
discussion (15 points)
what is the (qualitative) relationship between the number of sides on the die versus the (simulated) decay constant or the (simulated) half-life ? refer to the preceding data to support your response.
rationalize the relationship between the decay constant, half-life, and the # sides on a die; refer to probability to support your response and the relationship between half-life and the decay constant.
describe / list all NGSS science & engineering practices that correlates to an aspect of this laboratory activity; provide an example in the lab & this lab report that meets these practices
lab activity source (examples): site 1 & site 2 [access 4 / 2009]
mathematica based tools
other: 2-anova & tutorial
Excel simulation - xlsm (enable VBA)