|Radioactive decay simulation||Honors Chemistry|
background [prelab assignment (30 points) due at the beginning of lab]
describe 2 methods using graphical analysis to determine the half-life of a radioactive isotope; basis ? (hint: see content of lab report).
describe the Excel command / syntax for __
(recommend) review prior Excel dice rolling simulation lab (nothing to write for prelab assignment)
compare the determination of the half-life based on:
- its definition (i.e. analyze the graph: # radioactive isotope versus time)
- the decay constant using linearized data analysis - graphical
compare results (i.e. decay constant determination) from least squares analysis versus "Excel regression analysis"
relate the # of faces on a dice to the half-life & decay constant
fulfill various aspects of the NGSS science & engineering standards.
Excel dice rolling simulation - use template
methods / data analysis
initially, simulate 100 radioactive isotopes using Excel
pick a specific value on the dice, which represent the decay of the radioactive isotope
adjust # remaining radioactive isotopes accordingly; repeat till less than 20 dice remain
each set of dice rolls represent an interval of time, while # dice in sample represent # radioactive isotope in the sample
Content of lab report [60 points; no lab report revisions]
methods (10 points)
screenshoot of your Excel simulation (i.e. "step 3"), which includes the row / columm labels. include the Excel commands (in your prelab assignment) in your simulation (show the syntax and its parameters for each Excel command
data analysis - for 6 & 10 sided dice (30 points)
determine the decay constant & half-life
- graphs: for a 6- &10- sided dice (both graphs in the same figure; clearly identify # side dice )
- figure 1: # die in sample versus # die roll; determine half-life based on its definition and the graph
- figure 2: ln (# dice in sample) versus # dice roll; determine half-life based on linearized data and relationship between half-life and decay constant
- compare the value of the half-life based on the preceding 2 methods for the 6-sided dice; conclusions based on p-value
- compare the value of the half-life based of 6- versus 10- sided dice using figure 1; conclusions based on p-value
- determine and compare decay constant using Excel's regression feature versus least squares analysis "by hand" for 6-sided dice (include screen shot of later analysis)
discussion (20 points)
what is the (qualitative) relationship between the number of sides on the dice versus the (simulated) decay constant or the (simulated) half-life ? refer to the preceding data to support your response.
rationalize the relationship between the decay constant, half-life, and the # sides on a die; refer to probability to support your response and the relationship between half-life and the decay constant.
pro / con of using Excel versus physical dice
describe / list all NGSS science & engineering practices that correlates to an aspect of this laboratory activity; provide an example in the lab & this lab report that meets these practices
lab activity source (examples): site 1 & site 2 [access 4 / 2009]
mathematica based tools
other: 2-anova & tutorial
Excel simulation - xlsm (enable VBA)
Excel as a mobile apps: Android OS; iOS [access 4 / 2017]
common core math standards: models & tools [access 4 / 2017]
computational thinking [access 4 / 2017]; by me